Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oh the places you will go...




It is 1 Sep and this is the final month that I will be on active duty with the Army. I still don't think it has all sunk in but I think it will in time. After all, it has been over 20 years - you can't just switch your thinking that fast...or at least I can't.

Besides the gratitude that I feel for having the opportunity to serve my country, I think about all the friends that my family and I have met along the way. It reminds of that old Dr. Seuss saying, "You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you will be the guy who'll decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go."

All over the US, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Korea, Afghanistan, and Germany. And our honeymoon in France. Not an assignment but it was paid for out of my Army salary.

Who would have thought it and who would have believed it? I was only supposed to be in the Army for 4 years and get out and get my "real job." I have to say that many days the Army was more "real" than I would have liked but I would not have wanted to change it -- OK, maybe a few days but not many.

And now for the next chapter of my life and my families life. No one knows what will be next but Dr. Seuss is probably still right - Oh the places you will go...




No comments:

Post a Comment